This is a living document where I will share my thoughts
on what we can do to impact climate change
We know we need to leave a greener footprint, BUT SPECIFICALLY HOW DO WE DO THAT?
Each individual DOES matter, and DOES have an effect. Here are some actions we should be adding more into our daily routines:
- Don't buy new things - A side-effect of this is that you'll save lots of money! If possible don't buy new, or at all. Production, transportation, packaging, etc all have a major global impact, and will ultimately contribute pollution and landfill waste. There are some cases in which buying new may be an acceptable option, for example replacing an old appliance that takes a lot of power with a new low-energy model.
- Reuse - Buy used, trade, repurpose. I get a lot of great items at estate/garage sales, eBay and Craigslist just to name a few. The items are perfectly good and have no reason to be thrown away. You can also repurpose things you already have like using old shirts as cleaning rags.
- Recycle - This shouldn't even be on the list. Everyone should be taught to do this since birth. Yes, the recycling industry isn't perfect but we can work to make it better.
- Fix It! - Ok, so your flower pot broke; glue it back together! Your sock has a hole; sew it up. Why spend money and carbon emissions on something you can fix? It's ridiculous what people throw away.
- Say NO to plastic - Instead of bottled water get canned water or use a reusable bottle. Buy peanut butter in a glass jar instead of plastic. Buy tools, furniture, appliances, etc that are made of wood, metal and glass. Store leftovers in glass containers instead of plastic bags, and use reusable covers instead of plastic wrap.
- Use LEDs - Replacing old lightbulbs with LED bulbs saves enough energy to actually see a noticeable improvement on your electricity bill. They also get substantially less hot, last way longer, and are more sturdy.
- More walking and biking - When possible walk or bike. It's a great mood booster, it's free, and it doesn't pollute!
Green GIFT IDEAS
- Digital Subscriptions - Steaming services, audiobooks, digital magazines, etc
- Food / Drinks - Homemade, specialty foods, even gift cards for food
- Classes - Cooking classes, art workshops
- Mushroom growing kit
- Eco-friendly Etsy gifts